Three Names, One School
The White Mountain School was founded in 1886 as St. Mary's School, an Episcopal school for girls, by The Rt. Rev. William Niles, Bishop of the Episcopal Church of New Hampshire. Opening its doors in Concord, St. Mary's School welcomed eight boarders, 14 day students, and six teachers.
Nearly 50 years later, our School's inspired headmistress, Dorothy E. McLane, outlined her plan to move the School to the White Mountains. "Aunt Dot," a firm believer in the importance of academic and athletic challenge, as well as a lover of the outdoors, held the 50th Commencement exercises of St. Mary's-in-the-Mountains at the newly purchased "Seven Springs Estate" formerly owned by Eman and Mary Payne Beck in Bethlehem. The School was renamed The White Mountain School in 1972.
Our First 100 Years
Meticulously researched and written by Linda Clark McGoldrick '55, Our First 100 Years: 1886-1986 gives a thorough accounting of the School's origins and history through the end of the 20th century.
Scroll from side-to-side and click on key moments in our School's history to learn more about them.